14 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 4327 times)  

Got to say - returning to life before a DSLR has been damn hard!  I keep seeing photographs EVERYWHERE, which hasn't been the case for seemingly ever, which has been deeply frustrating when I don't have the tools to do anything about it! 

But, I think it is good to sometimes put the big guns away and go out with little or nothing and just experience the landscape and spend time spotting compositional ideas and photogenic locations which will hopefully stay in mind as and when you have time to go back to exploit the potential.

So... fingers crossed my enforced abstinence will be of some benefit in a few days when I am re-armed with a new DSLR!

Rob Sutherland
Alpinist Photography
Cumbria, United Kingdom

District

I've been following your wanderings on FB and it looks like Friday for the new rig. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you Smile

Chatty

Just waiting to see if the Nikon is going to get sent up to the local store for me on Friday, if not then it looks like a rapid charge down the motorway (in UK terms it is quite a long way... bottom end of the next county along... in US Terms, probably like popping out to your neighbours for a coffee!  It's a 2+ hour round trip not including stopping at the store!)

Failing that it is Saturday or next week.

Looking forward to getting back out and shooting again, and as a bonus the used Nikon 14-24 f2.8 jobby is arriving with me tomorrow.  Everything bar the D800E is being bought second hand to try and minimise the pain of a system shift, and I am still holding out hope for a second body (probably crop sensor size) as a backup (also used!)

Rob Sutherland
Alpinist Photography
Cumbria, United Kingdom

District

Welcome to the Dark SideEvil

Chatty

Cheers Bob. Sitting on the sofa beside me right now is a brand spanking new Nikon D800E. I haven't actually taken a single frame as yet, despite there being an 8Gb CF card in there, and a full battery. Currently I am on familiarisation and learning mode! Tomorrow is the planned baptism!

Initial impressions though - it is an incredible bit of kit.  Judging by the shots I have seen dripping onto the net from the vanilla D800 that is a very special beast in itself... the E version should be even sharper!

Will start to write a review as I become a little more familiar!

Rob Sutherland
Alpinist Photography
Cumbria, United Kingdom

District

I was able to play with a D800 in a retail outlet. Wowee! I also got to hold and play with a D4. Another wowee! The D800 is super sharp due to the 36MP resolution. The D4 is the most solid camera body I've ever held in a professional SLR, digital or film. Had I the justification I would not hesitate to drop the 6K for that body. The D800 seems quite capable at half the price and still a full frame sensor. Fortunely I have all full frame lenses. Might be one in my future. We shall see.

Congratultions Rob. Can't wait to see some sample images and later a review.

How is that brand spanking new D800E?

Its very good Walter!

Rob Sutherland
Alpinist Photography
Cumbria, United Kingdom

District

First impressions? Likes? Dislikes? How long to process those 36MP files versus your older Canon files?

Walter Rowe, Editor
Travel Photographers.net

Admin

First impressions:

This is a camera that is designed by photographers, not engineers.  Everything is where you want it to be, everything functions in an entirely intuitive manner.  It is pushing me down a slightly different route in my photography for some reason which I can't quite fathom - I am using the 70-200 a lot more than I would have anticipated and the 24-70 a lot less!

The files are VAST but utterly divine.  Sharp enough that they don't really need any sharpening afterwards (I am currently using about 40 - 50% at 0.2 pixels for web uploads and not sure if that is really necessary to be honest.  The workflow tweaking is still ongoing!).  The dynamic range is jaw dropping compared even to the 5D II with shadow detail that I could only ever have dreamed of with the Canons (which suits me as I do love a moody scene!)

First impressions then - I am blown away.  Looking forward to getting fully to grips with it and seeing where it takes me.  But this is a camera that both encourages experimentation and really provides the tools to explore your own limits.

Trying to write a full review at the moment, but I think it is going to take a few weeks more yet!

Rob Sutherland
Alpinist Photography
Cumbria, United Kingdom

District

Oh - dislikes... forgot that bit!

The viewfinder is a bit dark compared to the Canon (even with f2.8 glass v f4.0 glass on the Canon).

It lacks any form of power management - the Canon went to sleep when not used for a few minutes and came back almost instantly on the touch of any button.  The Nikon... well... lets just say I need a spare battery!

That is really about it.

The inbuild viewfinder shutter for long exposures... for some reason it just really does it for me ;-)

The artificial horizon - in viewfinder/rear screen and super imposed on the live view.  So very useful and I am already finding it indespensible.

The grid lines superimposed in the viewfinder at the touch of a button - brilliant!  And the fact everything glows red when focus is achieved - there is no missing that one!

The files it gives me to work on.  Really.  They are THAT good!

Rob Sutherland
Alpinist Photography
Cumbria, United Kingdom

District

Just heard back from Canon - getting the 5D II and 24-105L back on Monday so I can do some head to head comparisons next week before selling the last bits of Canon gear on (the lens got a full service which cost a rediculous amount and the camera has been given a whole new shutter assembly... which cost an even more insane amount).

Whomever buys those two will be getting  a stunning deal - effectively a brand new camera in terms of the mechanical wear parts, and a freshly serviced by Canon lens... total cost of the full repairs was £1350+VAT (20% in the UK).

Rob Sutherland
Alpinist Photography
Cumbria, United Kingdom

District

I sent my 24-105 lens to an authorised Canon repair centre,after the autofocus stopped working, about a year ago. They told me that the standard price for refurbishment was about £100 (cannot remember the exact price) and that include all parts (apart from the glass itself) that might need replacing. When I got the lens back it came with a detailed description of what work was done (they replaced the focussing assembly and gave it a good clean). I was very happy with the service and the price. Did they know yours was an insurance job?

Ruud

Chatty

I suspect so Ruud.  

I know it was vignetting badly (even by the 24-105 standard at the 24 end) so there was something up somewhere.  Not seen the report yet though so no idea what they have done with it.

Rob Sutherland
Alpinist Photography
Cumbria, United Kingdom

District
14 posts :: Page 1 of 1