Just having some thoughts as I know Ruud has published a book and I have done some minor ones, about having us all contribute in building a 2011 Best of TPN photo book. Here are my thoughts:
1) Not a contest, but a book showing the "travel" images that we all feel best represent the site. So, no Grand Prize, First, Second, etc. I think too many quality images and too much talent to try to choose.
2) I was thinking the image should be representive in a travel sense. This does not mean that we cannot select images close to home as we are all from different areas, but still reflect hopefully some sense of a destination that would prove interesting to others. In other words, I would not show my flower images necessarily unless it was totally unique to someplace.
3) I suggest dividing the book into four chapters for each main category in the Image Critique folder. So a chapter to People, Travel, Nature and Weekly Competitions. I think the Weekly Competitions would have more images, but certainly not representing each week. Room for discussion here.
4) We all then select...say 10-15 from the first three categories and 25 or so from the Weekly competitions and send to someone to compile. This would allow everyone to select a good core of images.
5) You cannot select your own images.
6) We have until...say January 15, 2012 to send the selections in an email to someone...can be Walter or anyone else as far as I am concerned...again not a competition. I am certainly open to it.
7) Then the compiler will count how many times an image was selected. The top 15 or so of the three constant categories and top 25 or so of the weekly competition will then be printed accordingly. No special recognition, but hopefully tastefully organized within each chapter. If there is a tie, then I do not mind extending to include more as needed.
We each can contribute narrative once selected to enlighten the viewer.
9) Then publish. Open to this as I used Mpix, but not sure that is the best. I would certainly buy a few books and maybe we can make available somehow on the site.
So...open to thoughts and interest. I do not mind contributing to this process at all.