15 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 6313 times)  

All,

Just having some thoughts as I know Ruud has published a book and I have done some minor ones, about having us all contribute in building a 2011 Best of TPN photo book.   Here are my thoughts:

1)  Not a contest, but a book showing the "travel" images that we all feel best represent the site.   So, no Grand Prize, First, Second, etc.   I think too many quality images and too much talent to try to choose.

2)  I was thinking the image should be representive in a travel sense.  This does not mean that we cannot select images close to home as we are all from different areas, but still reflect hopefully some sense of a destination that would prove interesting to others.  In other words, I would not show my flower images necessarily unless it was totally unique to someplace.

3)  I suggest dividing the book into four chapters for each main category in the Image Critique folder.  So a chapter to People, Travel, Nature and Weekly Competitions.  I think the Weekly Competitions would have more images, but certainly not representing each week.  Room for discussion here.

4)  We all then select...say 10-15 from the first three categories and 25 or so from the Weekly competitions and send to someone to compile.  This would allow everyone to select a good core of images.

5)  You cannot select your own images.

6)  We have until...say January 15, 2012 to send the selections in an email to someone...can be Walter or anyone else as far as I am concerned...again not a competition.  I am certainly open to it. 

7)  Then the compiler will count how many times an image was selected.   The top 15 or so of the three constant categories and top 25 or so of the weekly competition will then be printed accordingly.  No special recognition, but hopefully tastefully organized within each chapter.  If there is a tie, then I do not mind extending to include more as needed.

Cool  We each can contribute narrative once selected to enlighten the viewer.  

9)  Then publish.  Open to this as I used Mpix, but not sure that is the best.  I would certainly buy a few books and maybe we can make available somehow on the site.

So...open to thoughts and interest.  I do not mind contributing to this process at all.   

Richard

Richard Schoettger

Chatty

I like your idea Richard. I'm just wondering how much effort this well be. I was not involved in the production of the last TPN book published several years back, but as I recall, it seemed like a lot of work for those that were directly involved.

If TPN does do this, what do you think of making this an annual event? Seems to me, it might be a great way to encourage posting of images at the site, knowing that they may be selected for the annual book. In that regard, why not make it a competition, with some sort of prize, to better encourage participation?

Joe Becker
Tacoma, Washington, USA

Chatty
USA

Thanks for the update Joe as I was not aware of what was done in the past.  I am open to all of this, especially the level of competition we would want to do, but was thinking to have this all selected through our piers as opposed to a single or a couple moderators.   Having the images published is a good reward for me alone but I certainly can see if we want to extend that to add an incentive to joining the network. We could still select the images for the book and then do one more level of voting to get the appropriate winners in each category and overall.   

One of my goals was to make as easy as possible.   I hope the publishing software has improved and hopefully not a big challenge anymore.   I am assuming we have all the images for the year on the site already and just need to go through each category for 2011 entries, but if that is not correct, then I see more challenges for sure. 

Of course...if this does not garner enough interest, then that settles that too!      Hopefully more will contribute here soon one way or the other. 

Richard Schoettger

Chatty

Hi guys,

Sorry to be away so long.. been busy keeping my "boat floating" and getting ready to move to the Bay area.. yay!

Just wanted to chime in here since I was the one who created the book the first time TPN did one.

It was a massive undertaking, which I volunteered my time to do. It took me over 100 hours to download and sort all the images, design and layout the book, add in all the text and finalize for upload to blurb. It was a LOT of work and I do this professionally so I am not slow.

In the end, I believe we sold somewhere around 60 books.

It is a wonderful book, and I'm glad I did it AND it is still for sale at Blurb both as a physical book and now as an ebook for iphones and ipads.

Junior
happy

I always intended to buy the last book... funds always prevented me though!  I think I will have to look into it soon though!

I like the idea of doing this annually, but it depends if there is a way to do it more simply (and quickly) as it would be a good "shop front" for TPN, especially if we could find a way to get it distributed more widely ;-)

Rob

Rob Sutherland
Alpinist Photography
Cumbria, United Kingdom

District

I would LOVE to see an annual TPN yearbook and I strongly applaud this initiative.

Can't say I'm not concerned (great to see you, Sarah Clarehart!) that this could take ages across all the many logistical fronts.

However, several non-photographer friends of mine have recently made impressive looking photo books of children, vacations, etc. So I think it must be much easier today than years ago when Sarah did it for TPN 2.0...Sarah, do you think nowadays it could be done in 20 hours from just a production standpoint (i.e., digital assembly in software)??

I am excited about this concept and I say let's go for it! Also I can be pretty active on organizing efforts, inputs and funds. I do think a lot of support will be required from this community because no matter what, this task will not be small.

Thanks for your initiative, Richard! Anyone else excited???

Chatty

One of the reasons the book took so many hours to assemble was that it was 168 pages.. that's a big book. Another reason, is that everyone's text came in varrying formats and I had the task of editing, orgagnizing and making it all consistent. Which is not to discourage you.. but I would recommend (next time around) that there would be one person to layout the book and another to edit and organize the text That way it would not be too much on one person. Just sharing my experience here.

Rob.. the ebook is only $9.99 if you're interested in buying that. Not sure if you have an iphone or ipad.. I think it will be available in other formats in the coming year. That's up to Blurb.

Merry Christmas everyone! I hope to be more involved in the coming year. Just need to get out and travel some more!

Cheers,

Sarah

Junior

Hi, I agree that a well produced and affordable TPN book is a wonderful idea...

I also know that putting it together does have some logistical, and other challenges...  I would suggest somebody who knows more about producing a book tell us exactly what formats are required etc etc... then once the years selections have been made, it will be up to the responsible photographers to supply the photos in the required formats, within a certain time frame so as to try to make life a tad easier for whoever publishes it.. 

I think all photographers wish to be published (whether they admit it or not) and this is an opportunity for those selected to get that, which should encourage them to work with the project...

AndrewRHB Photography

Junior

Sarah did a stellar job with the first Around the world with TPN book. If you don't own a copy, I encourage you to get one. The new eBook format makes it very affordable and portable to any Apple device in iBook format at just US $10.

The original book was created using a juried format. All members submitted images. A select panel of members served as a jury to choose which images were included in the book. Once all the images were chosen, Sarah provided instructions to the image authors on format and what text she needed to include with their work including description about the image and how it was captured, and author biography text and picture. The hardcover version is proudly displayed on my family room coffee table.

The previous version of the book was sold "at cost" meaning no one received any compensation for their contribution, including Sarah's 100+ hours of production. I think it would be fair this time around to add a slight profit to the book to help reward the efforts of whomever takes on the production task. If Sarah were willing to do it again, I would gladly support that and support her being compensated through a "tax" on the book price that goes to her for her efforts and talent.

Sarah - is that something you would consider?

Walter Rowe, Editor
Travel Photographers.net

Admin

Glad to see both Walter and Sarah weighing in! And Andrew too - the more, the merrier ;-)

I was furtively hoping Sarah could serve her old role again here. If so, I would offer two things: 1) to serve as the coordinator/editor that she mentioned (the importance of dividing the key tasks), and 2) to also work on ensuring that she gets paid!

I will happily defer to anyone else if those roles are of interest to you - I'm not interested to usurp anybody, just well aware that positive inertia is needed right now. So, I volunteer!

Sarah, what say you? Please think about how much it would cost for you to dedicate the time to editing/publishing, especially if you already had an editor/coordinator.

Walter, if she can help here, then you'll need to determine a selection method and some submission standards. Perhaps your team of moderators can come up with ideas?? I sure can if you are interested.

Chatty

The last book was organized by geographic region.

• Africa / Middle East
  • Asia / Pacific
  • Europe
  • The Americas
  • Photographer Bios

Does that sound like a good organization again?

Well, that approach ignores the polar regions which could be a negative. I for one could live without the photographer bios as well.

Do we necessarily need subgroups for organizational purposes? Just giving a page each for selected works might be okay, with the order being purely random.

I guess we need to determine the scope of this project - how many images will be featured? Perhaps we can limit that number, based on how much it would cost to get the thing processed and published. I imagine cost is assigned on a sliding scale based on amount of content.

So we need to see if Sarah can help or if a different resource is needed - and then determine what the costs are to utilize that expertise, plus what the costs are "per page"...

Chatty

Hi guys,

Merry Christmas!

I'm thinking a couple of things that could streamline the process are as follows:

1. Use the same basic format/design. That accomplishes two things.. don't need to reinvent the wheel AND it affords a branding image to the books. A "volume 2" sort of thing. Aslo, now that the book exists, it will be easier to demonstrate the format that images and text need to be submitted in. Experience has shown me that that is still no guarantee that the submissions will adhear to those guidelines, but at least it's a start. I was also thinking it might be possible to create a pdf or word document that could be downloaded with instructions and a form to fill out.

2. All images can now be sent over the internet via Dropbox, or Yousend it, or some such thing like that. No need for disks and postage to be spent from far away lands. I realize that there are some (a very few) who may not have broadband internet access that will hinder the uploading of larger files, and in that case a disk could be accepted.

3. I would humbly suggest charging a non-refundable entrance fee for any images submitted for publication.. that could help to defray the cost of publishing the book and also invest the entrants in selecting their very best images for consideration. The submission fee does not guarantee that the images will be chosen, but every effort will be made to include anyone who wishes to participate. I would suggest charging either or $10 PER IMAGE submitted.

4. In addition to that I would add a small profit margin to the sale of the book. There isn't much money to be made that way, as the books are already not extremely cheap and I don't want to make the price point so high that no one can afford to buy them. As I said before, the total sales for the first book were around 50-60 books. The first 50 were sold with no markup at all, so the total profit from the sale of the last book, was about $70. Only ONE book sold this year and as yet, no one has bought an ebook.

Those are my thoughts for now. What do you think?

Best,

Sarah

Junior

Wow! Sarah's comment on costs seems to have shut down this thread!

How are people feeling about this? When TPN published their first book, it was not made publicly available. We posted a link on TPN and pretty much only members bought it. Should we make a volume 2 open to the public?

Sarah - have there been any e-book sales? An e-book would be cheaper to purchase since there is no cost for printing. Perhaps we could set the profit margin higher and let that offset the production cost? Is that took risky in terms of recovering your production costs? What if we only made it available in e-book format to drive the sales there?

Walter Rowe, Editor
Travel Photographers.net

Admin

I realized that I started this, but two things happened.  One...I went on holiday for awhile after first commenting and was unable to keep up with the numerous replies that were updated here.   Two, when I got back, it was clear that I was...out of my league, in some respects as I was not aware of the prior history and work to produce this in the past.   So, although I felt strongly that I would love to contribute, I felt out of the mix with the previous work.    My point was to selfishly obtain a printed book of some of the fine works published on this site and using a selection process amoung the piers to determine what images to print.    I think the direction I started with certainly changed course...:-)  

So, I am still open to this and still would love to contribute and get a book published.  Hoping it was straight-forward and easy to accomplish.   I am certainly not someone close to the marketing aspects of this.   So...if there is interest, please include me and I will do what I can!

Richard 

Richard Schoettger

Chatty
15 posts :: Page 1 of 1