5 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 4993 times)  

These are the moderator picks for December 11th through 17th 2011 

Travel & Outdoor

The mood, tones and colors are really evocative. The desolation and harshness of the environment is conveyed so well. The strong foreground gives us a central storyline. The expansive background, colors and sky offer context.

Sheep Shelter © Ruud Van Ruitenbeek
Sheep Shelter © Ruud Van Ruitenbeek

People & Portrait

This has such a strong composition. It is simple, clean, vibrant and compelling. There were comments that the image might be better if the baby were more out of focus. I personally disagree. I think it is blurry enough to focus on the woman who's eyes are focused directly at the camera yet clear enough to connect the two together.

Tibetian Woman, Songpan, China © Richard P Schoettger
Tibetian Woman, Songpan, China © Richard P Schoettger

Nature & Wildlife

The intricate detail of the snow covered branches and the boldness of the dark tree trunks coming in from the corners of the frame are just perfect. I played with a touch more contrast in Photoshop and decided it actually took away from the image as it lost detail that shows well as presented here. The black & white treatment lets us focus on all of the graphic elements and texture. I can't think of a thing that would improve this.

Crystal Forest © Alice Kabanoff
Crystal Forest © Alice Kabanoff

That being said, I feel I would be remiss if I didn't recognize Patrick Flynn's sunrise over the Chesapeake Bay from Blackwater Wildlife Refuge in Cambridge on Maryland's Eastern Shore. This is one of the finest images of the eastern shore sunrise I have ever seen (and there are LOTS of images of sunrise over the Chesapeak Bay on the Internet).

Roll Black Water © Patrick Flynn
Roll Black Water © Patrick Flynn

Weekly Challenge - Night Photography

This image does everything right for me. The foreground and background are each well defined. The ramp walkway perfectly separates them, yet has an appeal all its own. The people in the lower left of the frame add a human element and warmth. The tall hotel spanning the background provides a terrific balance with the strong fountain foreground. While there are many graphic elements in this image, I do not feel any of them competing with one another.

Marina Barrage, Singapore © Richard P Schoettger
Marina Barrage, Singapore © Richard P Schoettger

Congratulations Ruud, Richard, Alice and Patrick

Thanks for the pick Walter. I would advise people to have a look at the repost which can be found in the comments below the Sheep Shelter image. I was not happy with the artificial look of the sky so did some more work on it and posted the result as a comment.

Chatty

Thanks Walter and congrats to Ruud, Patrick and Alice too.    I keep thinking this, but it is exciting to see the number of quality images being placed on TPN, so I imagine judging is getting harder.   I appreciate the comments you make on these selections and your thoughts in judging them.  It is so interesting how we all interpret the images in our own way, such as the focus on my woman and baby.   I always realize that noone is wrong...we just all have a special view of what is portrayed...a great reason for having everyone make comments and postive critiques.  

I do want to say that I think that Patrick's image of here is one of the finest yet this year...stunning (although I have commented on it yet!).   That one is hard to beat and hope we do have something to recognize the past years images.   Would be sweet!!  Maybe even find a way to publish them???  

Richard Schoettger

Chatty

Amazing photos this week. I'm especially taken by both Alice's and Patrick's images. Congrats to both, and to Richard and Ruud as well!

Joe Becker
Tacoma, Washington, USA

Chatty
USA

Nice choices there Walter!

And congratulations to all!

Rob Sutherland
Alpinist Photography
Cumbria, United Kingdom

District
5 posts :: Page 1 of 1