7 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 6314 times)  

Adobe has not specified a date when Photoshop and Creative Suite CS6 will arrive in 2012, but they have released a new policy regarding upgrades to the new version. In a press release posted on Adobe's website, Adobe announced that users who wish to upgrade to CS6 will have to be on the latest version of CS5 or CS5.5 in order to qualify for upgrade pricing. Users on older releases of Adobe's software will have to pay the full retail price to upgrade to CS6. As an alternative, Adobe is offering a 20% discount on upgrades to CS5 through the end of the December 2011, but this means users will have to pay for the CS5 upgrade in 2011 and potentially (if they choose to upgrade) pay for a CS6 upgrade in 2012. This is a change in policy from past upgrades from Adobe where they generally allowed upgrades from either of the two prior releases (eg. CS4 or CS5 would qualify for upgrade pricing to CS6).

Click on image to download

This change in policy has created quite a stir in the Creative community which relies heavily on Adobe's product line for their livelihood. Scott Kelby, the President of the National Association of Photoshop Professionals and a long time Adobe advocate, today posted an Open Letter to Adobe on his blog regarding the new policy.

Walter Rowe, Editor
Travel Photographers.net

Admin

Thanks for the heads up Walter. I hadn't heard this before. I am currently using CS4 and had planned on upgrading with CS6 came out. Now it appears that won't be possible. This seems to be one step away from a subscription-based software model which has been forced on users by some software companies. (A model I don't like very much.)

I guess this leaves a me with a decision to make. Pay for two upgrades to really get one, or stay with CS4 and get off the upgrade train. I wonder if they will do the same with Lightroom (where I'm using LR2 and planning to upgrade at LR4). This is very disappointing!

Joe Becker
Tacoma, Washington, USA

Chatty
USA

It would appear that Adobe is relenting to pressure from their users on their upgrade policy for CS6. In an update to their CS6 upgrade policy posted today, Adobe announced that CS3 and CS4 users will be offered a special rate to upgrade to CS6. What that rate will be, and whether that rate will differ from CS5 users, remains to be seen. According to the new upgrade policy, this offer will be available from the time CS6 is made available until December 31, 2012. Given that Adobe just released the Lightroom 4 Beta yesterday, one might infer that LR4 and CS6 will be arriving in the first half of the calendar year. I have no inside information to that affect.

Walter Rowe, Editor
Travel Photographers.net

Admin

That's good news. I had decided not to upgrade, but now I may sometime later in the year (depending on the upgrade price). I'm looking forward to LR4, it will be quite an improvement from my current LR2.

Joe Becker
Tacoma, Washington, USA

Chatty
USA

We have 6 machines (2 desktops at home, 2 in the studio, plus 2 laptops) running CS4, and we definitely WILL NOT upgrade.  A hard look at features shows the new version will not add a cent to our bottom line, while costing us plenty by any upgrade route.

We are contemplating a major job this summer requiring extensive travel and major shoots in 30 locations over the course of the whole summer.  If we accept it, we'll be buying two Mac Air laptops, and we'll certainly put CS6 on them. But I see zero future in upgrading existing machines simply to add to Adobe's bottom line.

Junior

Hank - I don't know how much retouching you do in Photoshop versus overall image processing in Adobe Camera Raw or in Lightroom. I would encourage you to download the free trial of Aperture 3 and give it a test drive. I'd be glad to give you some "getting up to speed" pointers. The more I use it, the more I am impressed. It has very impressive adjustment tools and the retouching brush that allows you to paint on healing or cloning in paths or irregular shapes like Photoshop is almost a Photoshop killer. It cannot do layers and masks, but all of the other tools are so powerful that you almost don't need that. You can paint on and paint off pretty much any adjustment, which is effectively what you are doing with masks in Photoshop. One feature I especially like is viewing an image in full-screen mode, zooming to 100%, and using floating adjustment palettes (Apple calls them all "heads up display" - HUD). You can move them anywhere on the screen away from the area you are adjusting.

If Apple releases an Aperture 4 this year and I really like it, I am seriously considering ditching Adobe all the way. For one $80 fee, Apple lets you use Aperture on up to 10 Apple computers. You are an all-Mac shop. You cannot beat $80 for your entire shop versus the hundreds of dollars you will spend for CS6 for just two computers. You will need to keep a working version of Adobe around for all your archived work, but all your new images can go into Aperture. With your existing 6 machines plus potentially 2 MacBook Airs for your forthcoming summer job, yikes, thats a lot of money to upgrade/purchase CS6!

Walter Rowe, Editor
Travel Photographers.net

Admin

That's great news Walter, and I'll surely take you up on that offer when the time comes.

I'm very close to concluding that for our needs Adobe is a sun-baked mud brick suitable for building only in arid climates and having nothing to do with computers.

Junior
7 posts :: Page 1 of 1