8 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 3361 times)  

I am just putting together a series of themes for the Travel Challenges, if there is anything that anyone would particularly like included please leave a message here!  If you feel that the themes that I choose are completely useless likewise let me know (either in this thread or via email), it's a whole new challenge for me to come up with ongoing themes so feedback both positive and negative is most welcome!

I hope you enjoy what I come up with!  Extra points will be awarded for photographs taken in the week that the challenge runs rather than photographs dug from your archives ;-)

Rob Sutherland
Alpinist Photography
Cumbria, United Kingdom

District

I remember, several years ago, shortly before the first site change over, there was thread asking for potential challenge themes. I replied to that thread with a half dozen ideas or so, not that I can remember them now. However, your picture, Rob, does remind me of one: a theme around drinks (alcoholic and not). Jim White, and our TPN gathering in Seattle several years back, inspired that challenge theme idea for me since we visited more than one alcoholic establishment on that particular occassion.

Joe Becker
Tacoma, Washington, USA

Chatty
USA

You know... that gives me a bit of an idea Joe!  A theme celebrating my love of establishments that serve alcoholic beverages ;-)

The profile photo was taken in a small village called Doolin in County Clare, Ireland a couple of years back whilst I was partaking in several pints of Guiness!  I remember seeing the details of that meet up on the old, old TPN site a couple of years back and always wished I could have made it myself.

To be fair I have a good few themes lined up already, I will probably drip feed them onto the site rather than dump them all on at once and then wait for feedback so I can tweak as I go!

Rob Sutherland
Alpinist Photography
Cumbria, United Kingdom

District

2011 is the 150th anniversary of the start of the American Civil War. My suggestion is that sometime in the next few months the challenge be Travel Photos related to the Civil War. Battlefields, monuments, cemeteries and other Civil War sites are popular tourist distinatoins. Just a suggestion and we have plenty of time.

Tim Marks
www.photowanderer.com
Michigan USA

Cheers Tim,

That isn't a bad idea - though I may expand it a little for those of us living outwith the US!

I am also thinking, as a result, that I may have to go and check out some of these battlefields next time I am over Stateside visiting my brother and his wife (though I am not sure there are any good sites near LA!)

Rob Sutherland
Alpinist Photography
Cumbria, United Kingdom

District

Rob

Yeah LA might be a problem, Though Calif was a state by then. There are quie a few locations West of the Mississippi including in Texas (TX was a part of the Confederacy) and Kansas was an important part of the war and the prelude to it. I'm sure it is easily expandable as Europe had its own share of revolutions and civil wars in the 1840s

Thanks for all the good work you moderators do!

Tim Marks
www.photowanderer.com
Michigan USA

Yep, that was roughly my thinking - expand the topic slightly... I may go beyond civil wars though to battlefields of the past or something?  It certainly has legs on it as a theme though!

Speaking of themes, I just put up a *very* local theme to get us all out and thinking about our immediate environment - hope people enjoy it!

Rob Sutherland
Alpinist Photography
Cumbria, United Kingdom

District

That's the "Battlefield" theme up and ready!  

Thanks for the suggestion, I am going to have to hunt one out around my kneck of the woods now!  I can only think of one off the top of my head and it happens to be very ancient and very scenic (if the weather behaves, which given my location in the UK is almost certain not to happen!)

Cheers!

Rob Sutherland
Alpinist Photography
Cumbria, United Kingdom

District
8 posts :: Page 1 of 1