9 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 2982 times)  

We sent out a newsletter today in an updated format. Post your impressions here.

Walter Rowe, Editor
Travel Photographers.net

Admin

Didn't get it.

Junior

You have to sign up for it explicitly using the TPN Newsletter link in the navigation bar at the top of the page.

I messed up, Walter- my usual way of learning.  I was space-critical in my email, so while doing something else I deleted it without opening on the assumption I could also access it from here on the site.  Woops.  When I went to the TPN Newletter button, it was only a sign-up link. 

On a related topic, my browser is only displaying 5 topics on the index page for each forum.  In the case of the General discussion, that means I see 4 stickies and this topic, and have to navigate back another index page to get to additional topics.  That won't be an issue for anyone else, but with our slow link (2-3 minutes to load a basic page without photos) it's bothersome.  Any way I can increase the number of items that show on each index page?

Junior

Hi Hank. I don't know why you are only seeing 5 topics per page in the forum. The site is configured to show you 30 topics per page. I even looked at your profile and could not see any errant setting there. I'll keep digging.

Also I forwarded you the newsletter again. I suppose I should figure out a way to post them here on the site as well.

Walter Rowe, Editor
Travel Photographers.net

Admin

Does anyone even read the newsletters? I'd like some form of feedback on them. If I get no feedback I'll stop sending them.

Walter Rowe, Editor
Travel Photographers.net

Admin

Thanks for resending the newsletter Walter.  I do value it (in spite of my delete) and rely on it as a quick glimpse of what's going on at the site, even when other demands on my slow connection keep me from going to the site.  And yes, I do like the format, especially that it appears the photos are linked back to the site and not content that has to be accomodated in my meezly email buffer (10mb).  I have to cull the buffer every day and sometimes twice a day, as it is.

And I suspect the slow connection may be at the heart of the reason I'm only seeing 5 items in the index.  Watching it carefully, it appears that my ISP or someone in the chain of command gets "tired" of waiting for things to load on my end at about that point and simply stops.  Reloading the page does result in seeing the full page I just learned, which further verifies my theory.  I'm leaving in about a week and will be on the road most of the next 6 months, so for the duration I won't have to deal with the slow connection.  Hurrah!

How slow is slow?  Right now it's whizzing right along with a 2.2kps download rate.  It can get down to 1.2 to 1.4kps in slow periods and never exceeds 2.8kps.

That's kps and NOT mps.

Junior

The newsletter looks great.  I think that it can be an effective tool to remind people to log in and see what's new on the site.

Junior

Hank - I wonder if it would be faster for you to drive into town and use the wifi service in the local coffee shop or library! That is hardly faster than dial-up modem speeds.

9 posts :: Page 1 of 1