8 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 4162 times)  

Hi,

I have noticed that some photos have IPTC data attached to them.  I have read the Google article on it, so I guess I know basically what it is.  I know that metadata is attached to my photos by my camera, but it doesn't show up when I upload to my gallery, is there a way to make that happen?  Also does anyone know how I can attach titles and comments to the IPTC?  I use I Photo, but I also have Adobe Photoshop Elements if I could do it through that.

Thanks,

Victoria

Junior

Hi Victoria-

I don't know why the photo info does not show unless you have re-sized the photo in Elements using the 'save for web' function which strips out the data. Additional info can be added to exif using various programs including Opanda, and Adobe Lightroom.

Chatty

Hi Victoria,

Some of the albums on the site were configured to provide a "Photo Properties" link below the picture that provided the "metadata" in a pop-up window. Others were configured to display it below the picture. I updated all the albums to display the metadata below the image. It will only show up for pictures where there is metadata provided. As Bob said, some programs strip that data out when you save to a new format like JPG or GIF. Some formats, like PNG, don't support metadata and therefore will not have any.

I'm pretty certain that iPhoto preserves all of that metadata when you export an image to JPG to post or email, and I can't imagine Adobe Photoshop Elements not doing that too.

I viewed some of your photos after making the change to all the albums on the site. They still do not display any metadata so it would appear that your photos do not have any in them.

Walter

Walter Rowe, Editor
Travel Photographers.net

Admin

Hi Walter,

Thanks for giving such close attention to my questions.  I don't know why the data that I see in IPhoto doesn't come across, but I'll keep workingn on it!

Best,

Victoria

Junior

Apple iPhoto Export Options

Hi Victoria,

I'm a Mac user as well so I tried exporting a file from iPhoto and uploading it to see if it carried the metadata with it and it appears to do so. When you select Export from the File menu, make sure you check the boxes for including Title and Keywords, and optionally Location Information. Here you can also select the quality and size of the file to be exported. I used Custom for size and entered 900 for pixel dimensions, and I selected High for quality. iPhoto will not enlarge a photo to meet your size dimensions. It will only shrink images that are larger than the size you enter.

Below is a sample Canon PowerShot G11 picture I exported via iPhoto '11. Click the image to go to see it in the album and you will see metadata displayed below the image. I looked through all of the preference panes in iPhoto and could not find any that pertain to whether it should include or strip metadata on export.

What camera do you shoot with? What program are you using to import your photos from your camera? Inside iPhoto, select one of your photos and bring up the Info panel. The right sidebar should show you various pieces of info about the photo including Title, Description, any Faces you have tagged in it, and Keywords.

Hope this is a little helpful.

Walter

Schooner of Beer

Walter Rowe, Editor
Travel Photographers.net

Admin

Hi Walter,

I have not been exporting from I Photo.  I have been importing to TPN, using the individual 'choose file' method.  My photos before August 2006 were shot with several point and shoots.  Since then I have mostly shot with my Nikon D50, although I always keep a point and shoot in my pocket when I have a specialized lens on the D50.  Then I have a few shot with a point and shoot underwater Canon... Anyway most of what I post is shot with the D50.  I see the metadata when I shoose Info in I Photo, but it just doesn't transfer.   I will try exporting to TPN instead of importing into TPN.

May take a few days, I am at business conference in St. Louis, MO and spending excruciating hours in conference rooms.  Tomorrow I will get a chance to get out and if the rain lets up, maybe shoot a few pictures.

Thanks,

Victoria

Junior

Hi Victoria,

Just to make sure I'm clearly articulating this, when you export from iPhoto it will export to a JPG file on your computer. You then use the same method for uploading that exported JPG file to TPN.

Good luck shooting!

Walter

Walter Rowe, Editor
Travel Photographers.net

Admin

If you ever want to get a "master list" of proper IPTC codes for your images, you can download them from the IPTC organization's website.

http://iptc.cms.apa.at/site/NewsCodes/View_NewsCodes/

There is a master list of codes for each field in the IPTC news codes - scene, category, subject, etc. These are globally accepted codes that all of the news organizations have come together and agreed on. If you fill in these fields in your image database, they will be used by image agencies that license stock photos. I don't always fill them in, but when I think I have something that could be useful for news reporting, I try to.

8 posts :: Page 1 of 1