5 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 5878 times)  

My opinion is that unless you need to shoot fast moving objects - sports, birds in flight - any card will do. I shoot portrait mostly 133 is more than adequate. A high speed card may also only do so much for you depending on your camera body. The camera may not keep up with the speed of the card. How often do you need to shoot 8fps? Can your camera's buffer keep up with that card? I say go cheap- Ridata, Kingston- you will figure out if you need a faster card. I've never had a problem with these brands and they are half the price of a Lexar or Sandisk.

Choose the right horse for the course...........and save a few bucks.

Bob

Chatty

I agree with your card capacity statement. I don't shoot video so capturing well over 100 images on a single card is plenty for me. Even with my live music photography I only have to switch cards once. I know photographers who practice the scatter approach to music photography. They hold down the shutter button and simply keep firing until their media card is full, switch cards and continue shooting in the same manner. To me that isn't professional photography. That is fan photography. A professional learns the artist they will shoot and be more predictive and selective in their shooting. Most artists only allow you to photograph the first two or three songs. How much variation can there be in that 10 minutes and how much time do I want to spend wading through hundreds of images that all look alike? That isn't efficient use of my time and I don't consider it a professional approach to live performance photography.

I do prefer to buy name brand cards (SANdisk, Lexar, etc). I've never lost an image on them, even after a dip in the swimming pool and leaving one to dry out. They are so cheap now that the price difference isn't so much these days. And as a professional my clients always expect me to get the image. I would rather not rely on off-brands when someone else is paying for it. My reputation is on the line and I don't trust that to just anyone.

The Kingston brand is building a good reputation. I steer clear of lesser known brands.

Just my two cents!

Walter

I shoot mostly Sandisk Ultras 8Gb. There only 30mbs but fast enough for me. hold about 300 D300 RAW files. Never had a speed problem even shooting Junior Hockey.

Tim Marks
www.photowanderer.com
Michigan USA

We stick with 4gb cards for the convenience of burning to DVDs for client deliveries on contract shoots.  As for speed, the place I get into trouble is downloading the images from the buffer onto an almost-full card, basically the last images you shoot until the card sezz ENUFF.  You can wait forever for the buffer to download and negotiate space on the card.  Even if the action isn't fast and hot, you can wait a long time before you shoot again.  Easy solution is to stop short of filling the card. 

Some of our shooting requires tiffs, and especially low elevation aerials where you're basically "strafing" a subject as you pass by requires us to carry multiple cameras and switch between them as the buffers download.  No sense making another pass with the plane if the buffer is only half downloaded.  Just switch to the second camera and shoot again on the reverse course after a turn.  In that setting, when the client is paying the charter, card speed is a plus.  Otherwise, it's never really been an issue for us if there's a backup camera on our other shoulder.

Junior

HI,

I would like to point out that if you use burst mode or full HD recording, then you buy appropriate SD cards that could write at high speeds. Having a high capacity card doesn't always mean that it will suffice for all functions. When I had bought my 550D, i had got a 8GB Class 4 card free and when recording video at full HD setting, the video recorded was a bit jittery as frames were lost while writing to the card. I bought a Kingston 16GB Class 10 UHS-I Ultimate SDXC card for this purpose and then HD recorded videos were smooth. My advice that they do invest a bit more by buying SD cards that have higher read/write speeds so that even at burst modes or during HD video recordings the frames do not get lost while writing to the card. Up to Class 6 is fine for still photography, but for HD recordings consider Class 10 upwards or SDXC cards of well known manufacturers.

5 posts :: Page 1 of 1