6 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 2596 times)  

Hiya all,

My girlfriend and I have, after some discussion and "democratic' decision making, decided to go to Italy next year for our holiday... Morocco, North and West Africa and the Canary Islands have been put on hold a little longer... sigh....

although it is early days yet, I would love some input (I have never been to Italy) and suggestions as to areas and activities with great photographic potential. I am well aware that Italy has been pretty much photographed from all angles, but from my point of view I shall be happy to get the best I can...

We are intending to go August/September and are looking at a self guided walking tour through Tuscany/Umbria, a few days in the mountains and a few days on the Adriatic coast. We are very much into doing our own thing on the day and are not really into guides etc, as we find they generally take you on the same worn out cliched trips to areas already visited and photographed to the point of boredom.    

I will welcome any input, ideas, and pointers (possible connections for accomodation etc also welcome) towards this trip, especially from a photographers point of view.  

many thanks

Andrew

AndrewRHB Photography

Junior
thoughtful

Hi Andrew.

The only part of Italy I have really been to is the far noth.  The Lakes (particularly Lake Garda), a few of the key towns in that area (Florence etc) and up into the Italian Alps.  It was some years ago so details are a wee bit hazy now, but I recall that many of the small towns around Garda were lovely (Limione springs to mind, mainly as it was filled with lemon trees and associated fruit).

That whole northern area is stunning though and well worth spending some quality time in.  Tuscany is on my hit list for a future visit though as that offers something very different in terms of landscape.

Sorry I can't be more helpful than that.  If you were asking about Scotland then I would be your man ;-)

I will look forward to seeing some of your photographs on here though, it may give me some ideas of places to go when I get around to it again!

Rob Sutherland
Alpinist Photography
Cumbria, United Kingdom

District

Hello,

I can't help you with the North part of Italy where you are going but I went to Venice for 4 days and then got on a crusie ship to the greek ilands.  It was fantastic and you will love Italy.  My husband and I will go back to Venice and Santorini Greece in the future.  Next year is Spain, France and Rome. 

We went at the end of June and it was a 12 day trip.  I'm still working on my pictures from my trip and uploading them to my site. 

If you do go to Venice I have a great tour guide.  She is a native and speaks great english.

Have fun! I'm envious! Big Grin

Cindy

envious

Thanks for the inputs Cindy and Rob, I still have quite a while before we go, hence I will be doing plenty research before then. There are so many potential walks and routes through Tuscany that it will be close to impossible to cover more than a few, so I'm looking for the more out of the way ones which although may involve some more strenuous walking, will also hopefully cover some real potential in a photographic sense; as long as there is good wine and food at the end of every day. ;-)   

Cindy I may well contact you re the guide as we in all likelihood will spend a day or two in Venice.... 

So I am still open for suggestions

thanks

Andrew

AndrewRHB Photography

Junior

Hello,

Luisella Romeo is her name and here is her website http://www.seevenice.it/seevenice/tour_guide_in_Venice.html

You can find her on Tripadviser and I have written a review.  Tell her I referred you!  We email back and forth now and I have her on my FB. 

If you want to see all of Venice and take pictures you will need at least 3 days.  Where good walking shoes. 

Cindy

Thanks Cindy,

I shall definitely store that address.... I only either wear running shoes, trail shoes or sandles so the walking isn't a problem....I hike around the mountains and bush here in South Africa often and love it...

The other place in Italy we are considering is Trieste, has anybody here been there or know anything about that part of Italy, or for that matter Slovnia and Croatia, as we may try and find time to go down there for a couple of days from Trieste..

Ciao

:-)

Andrew

AndrewRHB Photography

Junior
mellow
6 posts :: Page 1 of 1