20 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 8509 times)  

Would there be any interest from other TPN members to do a section of the Camino de Compostello starting around the  11-08-11 for 6 nights on.  Not the suffering one, where you sleep in dormitories of 20 people on hard bunks BUT in proper accommodation. The Camino Le Puy, from Cahors to Lectoure through the Lot and Garonne valleys, with luggage transported for you, leaving you free with only camera etc in daypack... See the website: caminoways.com/destinations/camino-de-santiago.html ;

Im investigating...Wave

Africa

I would have been interested, but having a new born things are just a bit hectic at the moment!

Sounds a great trip though!

Rob Sutherland
Alpinist Photography
Cumbria, United Kingdom

District

Wow Bettie.. that's sounds cool! Actually... (now don't make me promise) but I have been considering going to Europe next fall (starting in Holland) and you know.. France is just a stone's throw from there.

I will consider this too. Wouldn't that be fun to meet again and in France?

We'll tawk girlfriend.

Sarah

Junior

ClappingClappingClapping SarahBig Grin Let's talk. If this coming Fall-plan pose too many obstacles, I want to move the trip forward to 2012 Spring. Am still weighing up a number of issues.

excited
Africa

Quote by: Sarah Clarehart

France is just a stone's throw from there.

Laughing Out LoudLaughing Out Loud LOL It may be in american miles, but for Dutch people the south of france is a long way away! Everything is relative!

I would have liked to meet up again Sarah, but we are planning a tript to Carcasonne a bit later.

Ruud

Chatty

Hi Bettie !  I've just returned from two weeks in the Lot - glorious countryside, you will love it, I'm sure.  Otherwise I might have been tempted.  If you are considering France at some stage, may I suggest Brittany or Normandy?  Lots of great places to visit and photograph and, depending on dates, it would be easy for me to hop over there and meet up.  (And Brittany is a lot closer to Holland than the South of France - though still pretty far . . . Big Grin

Hi Tricia, great to hear your enthusiastic reply. Yes, why don't you make a few suggestions on what and where, closest to you? As a South African, where we have lots of beautiful countryside and boringly good weather, I ache for old villages with history in their cobbled stones. That is the main attraction to Europe for me. The countryside is also important, of course, but secondary to the village life, which I'd like mainly to photograph (not excluding the countryside).  And if, on top of it, I am able to walk, instead of mainly sitting in a vehicle .... its heaven.

Lets hear your suggestions. I also believe that all France (if not other parts of Europe also) celebrate the days when seasons change, like 21/22 December, 21 June, 21 March and 21/22 September with open air music etc. Is that true? If so, I should like to be there around 22 Sept (if the trip is to be this year, or arond 21 March if we plan for 2012)  Whichever date suits you, and whoever else wants to join us. Accommodation in pensiones or Gites (is that the spelling) would also be more affordable for a South African whose currency, the Rand, hovers between R10 or R12 to the Euro!).

Lets make this European TPN trip HAPPEN Big Grin

Africa

Hi again Bettie -  I can't do September this year as I'm running workshops pretty much all that month.  I didn't know about France celebrating the change of seasons but I do know that they love their festivals, especially in the summer months.  I'll have to put my thinking cap on for this one.  My initial suggestion would be around April next year.  Easter Sunday 2012 falls on 8 April 2012 and it's always better (IMHO) to travel outside school holiday time so that would mean planning something for late April.  France is full of old villages with cobbled stones and bags of history.  The Lot and the Dordogne also have lots of pretty villages. Let's see how many people might be interested and then go from there.  It's fairly easy for me to hop over to France and meet up with your group. Cool

Tricia, Next year Easter in April sounds fine to me. The Dordogne particularly interest me for its pre historic caves, on top of the old villages. The Lot valley Ive only read about with regards to this particular stretch of the Le Puy-route on the Camino. So, lets put out the feelers to others. If you wouldn't mind selecting the area, the dates and the accommodation options? An initial tentative arrangement, I think will set the ball rolling. Then, small adjustments could be made if necessary. Looking forward to such a photo meet.Big Grin

Africa

Hello again Bettie.  I apologise if I have misled you but I would not be able to organise a trip to the Lot valley.  My suggestion about visiting France in April was that it's a pretty good time to go as the tourism season starts around Easter and, if you visit after the Easter school holidays, it is usually less expensive and less crowded.  I've been to the Dordogne and the Lot twice recently so, for me, I would like to visit other parts of France.  I was trying to say that if you choose Northern France, I might be able to come across and join you, depending on dates.  I'm very busy for the rest of this year with the workshops I am running and I'm sorry that I don't have the time available to help you with organising such a trip.

Possibly the Camino trail doesn't appeal to everyone and, for people flying in from afar they would need to know which airport to choose.  If you want to suggest the idea of a trip to France, it might be easier for people to fly to Paris and then take the high speed TGV to whichever location in France you choose.  The TGV trains are absolutely excellent.  Last month I travelled first class on the TGV from Paris to Toulouse - a five hour train journey and it cost 27 Euros! (maybe because I booked 6 months ahead).

I hope that helps.  best regards,  Tricia  Smile

It would seem we've misunderstood each other, Tricia. I did get the impression you were interested in a trip, and since you suggested an area close to you, familiar to you, and therefore a trip you'd like to join, it would be easy for you to organise. Sorry, distances can lead to misunderstandings.

Im totally unfamiliar with those areas. The Le Puy -Camino route is easy for me to choose, since the entire route is planned and public on the internet. Even though I do not necessarily want to make use of the official route, staying in the hotels and have my luggage transported for me. I did think its possible to use the Camino route as guide to choose interesting areas from.

Seems we are all going to do our own thing rather. Thanks for the input though Smile

Africa

Mr. GreenWave Sound's interesting It may work for me next year .

This year I have another weddingBig Grin my youngest son in Sept.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Last year was my oldest son.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

It looks like my  Canon 500mm F4 is going to take a while.Thinking

Let's see how things  go till then

AVI

Chatty

GREAT to see you again, Avi. So lets put our thoughts behind 2012 Camino stretch. Have you checked out the route, www.caminoways.com

the 4th section between Cahors and Lectoure?  And maybe the stars will provide the Canon 500m f4 as a bonus Clapping

Africa

Now that the route has been decided, my flight ticket from  Cape Town via Amsterdam to Toulouse booked and paid! the fine tuning is happening. Ive picked up a travel mate , Caroline Himely-Swift, and we've decided to follow the official Le Puy route 4th section(see the above website)  starting in Cahors near Toulouse and ending in Lectoure, after stay overs in Montcuq, Lauzarte, Moissac, Auvillar. From Lectour we bus and train back to Toulouse for two extra nights. In each village on the route we stay 2 nights. One to recover from the previous day's walk with our backpacks  and another to enjoy and explore the village life. In stead of the official Caminoways 3-star hotels, we're finding the more intimate gites (b&b's at a fraction of the price). As well as closer to what we want to experience of the trip. Anyone, who is prepared to make their own travel arrangements are welcome to join. Dates: First night in Cahors on 9th and 10th April 2012 and ending in Toulouse on 20 and 21st April.Wave

excited
Africa

Sounds like you'll have a great time Bettie!

If you have not seen it yet I can recommend "The Way," a film starring Martin Sheen. The story is that his son, who he did not have a great relationship with, died at the start of the Camino (oopsWinkEh, did not mean to put you off Laughing Out Loud) He then finishes the Camino (to Santiago de Compostella) to learn about his son and himself, meeting some great characters on the way.

This image was inspired by the people that walk the Camino:

Hope

Ruud

( Link corrected by Walter using the "media" autotag - click the link to read more about "autotags" and how to use them on reference other content on TPN )

Chatty

Pity I couldn't see the image in the link, Ruud. I was "denied access" because I seem to lack certain security qualities AngelTwisted

I have to confess, although this is part of the Camino de Compostello that finally ends in norther Spain at Santiago, I am not interested in the religious-andor "finding myself or others" under/overtones of the Walk. I find every walk in nature (right here for instance in Table Mountain, on the foothills of which I live) a spiritual experience as well, as occasion to meet stunning people and chat with myselfBig Grin. Due to the endorphin release in our brains. My interest in the Le Puy-section is exactly because it promises the most attractive,  well preserved Medieval villages. My interest is cultural. And don't worry, about the "slip of tongue". I'm not put off by the letters D   E   A   T   H  . As long as they stand way apart from each other.Eek!

Africa

The picture is in the people & portaits section. I am with you on the religious side, you can take from the walk whatever you want. Organised religion often annoys me, especially when it's proponents think that the only way to have a fulfilling life is to follow their religion.

Chatty

Hi Walter

4 emails have just arrived in my postbox with a notification of your reply to this topic. But I don't see your reply?Confused

Africa

Hi Bettie. I edited Ruud's post to include the thumbnail of the picture he referenced.

Uber GeekWalter thank YOU! And you too, for the comment and image, RuudClapping

ohhhh i just love these smileys!Thumbup

Africa
20 posts :: Page 1 of 1