12 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 4773 times)  

I've been asked to step in at the very last moment and make the moderator picks for the week of 15 to 21 May.  Our apologies to you all for the late posting of the selections, due to unforeseen circumstances.

I've looked at every image posted for the week in question and I have to say that I am impressed with many of the images up on the site.  Here's my selection

Travel & Outdoor

This was a tough choice as there are some lovely images in this category.  However, the stand-out image was 'Loch Broom in the Distance' by Ruud van Ruitenbeek.

This is a beautiful image of a very traditional English landscape.  It has everything I could ask for - a lovely foreground, my eye follows the meandering river right along the valley to the Loch, and those wonderful clouds!  The colours, the lighting and the quality of this image make it a real winner.

Loch Broom In The Distance  © Ruud van Ruitenbeek
Loch Broom In The Distance © Ruud van Ruitenbeek

People & Portrait

Very few images posted in this category for that week.  So, come on, all you TPNers - let's see some more photos of those great people you photograph on your travels!

Religious Portrait by Avi Hirschfield wins this category.  The pensive look, the hair, the cap, the demeanour of this person really makes the shot.  The black & white treatment serves to give it more feeling.  I'm left wondering what he is thinking about and what religious code he follows.

Religious Portrait © Avi Hirschfield
Religious Portrait © Avi Hirschfield

Nature & Wildlife

The out-and-out winner of this category is Come & Get It by Avi Hirschfield.  What a shot!  I was once told by a top wildlife photographer that, for wildlife shots, you have to either focus on the action, or the eye of the bird or animal.  Here, the action is captured perfectly, the image is sharp where it needs to be and the colours and textures of the birds' feathers are excellent 

Come & Get It © Avi Hirschfield
Come & Get It © Avi Hirschfield

Travel Challenge - Hill Country

Happily there were lots of entries in the weekly challenge for Hill Country.  It made my selection extra tricky as there were some super photographs here.  The winner for Hill Country is Dragon's Backbone, North of Guilin, China, by Richard P Schoettger.  Wow!  What an image.  Beautiful colours and tones, really lovely foreground and all that wonderful mist and cloud really makes this image sing

Dragon's Backbone, North of Guilin, China © Richard P Schoettger
Dragon's Backbone, North of Guilin, China © Richard P Schoettger

Congratulations  Ruud, Avi and Richard!

I am really pleased to be asked to make these selections.  The challenge of the moderators is to make selections and your challenge is to post more great travel images and encourage fellow photographers to join TPN.  So, I'm looking forward to seeing lots more travel images on TPN very soon . . . . .

Tricia Kennedy  ARPS

Congrats to all three winners and thanks Tricia for stepping in! I have been wondering whether TPN 3.0 might be losing some steam recently - I sure hope all is well with everyone on staff. Thanks for explaining and it is terrific to have you here. Welcome and well done!

@Richard Shoettger - for the first time I entered two different images into a single weekly challenge, but even as I did I knew you were the deserving winner of "Hill Country". I really love that photograph!

Chatty

Thanks for the pick Tricia, I think it was especially tough this week, because there were so many exceellent images to choose from. As soon as I saw Richard's image 'Dragon's Backbone' I knew that was the winner of the Hill Country challenge theme. He picked a great moment and the light is just fantastic.

Tricia, you might want to edit your post to change English to Scottish (or British) in the description of the Loch Broom image. Especially with the upcoming census about Scotland breaking away from the United Kingdom and becoming a separate country. Wink

Chatty

Congratulations Ruud, Avi and Richard. Thank You to Tricia Kennedy for making these fine selections. Welcome aboard the TPN Staff.

@Walter :  It's a real pleasure.  Thank you for the opportunity for me to make the selections from a collection of excellent images.  

@ Ruud :  Oops! No offence intended to the British or the Scottish.  But I stand by my comments that it is a very traditional English (style) landscape - it's excellent.  I can't comment about the Scotland / UK thing as I live in the Channel Islands and we are not part of the United Kingdom - strange but true!  The Channel Islands are  very much part of the British Isles though - but geographically we are nestled in the Bay of Mont St Michel, France.

It's great to be part of TPN again.  I hope to see lots of images from lots more TPNers in the future.  Let's rock!  Big Grin

I was quite surprised for this week as the number of quality images were really high.   I have a lot of respect for all the photographers that utilize this site and it really is both exhilerating to see all the powerful images that everyone produces and motivational to try to keep up with you all...I feel quite lucky.  I think that Ruud and Avi were again their usual excellent selves and I really appreciate all the comments that everyone makes...the best way to learn how to shot.  Thanks Tricia and all the kind words from everyone.  I hope this site continues to be successful.     By the way....if you have not done so...going to Guilin and up to Dragon's Backbone in late September is well worth a trip as it is the golden time for the rice harvest.  If you ever want to go, let me know as I know a great guide who knows the little places to capture fantastic scenes.     

Richard Schoettger

Chatty
surprised

Interesting selection, Tricia! Specially because of the comparison your selection affords, between two similar landscapes but with such totally different lighting - (English vs Chinese) that characterize different geographical areas. Not that the images were simply chosen, Im sure, for their geographical-documentary value - but still. Congratulations to Richard and Avi.Big Grin Oh and isn't it great to see the old smileys back. Will mine smile when I push the submit-button?

Africa

Hello Bettie - yes, your smiley definitely smiled Big Grin.  Your comments are interesting too.  It had not occurred to me that the images were from two different geographical areas, or that they were similar in any way.  When I judge photography, I do so on aesthetic and technical merits alone and my selections are made using only that criteria. 

Nice to see you back on TPN Big Grin

Tricia thanks and welcome back .RUUD @ RICHARD its great to be there with you guys

Where are the GALS.???????

Smile

Chatty

Avi - I agree with you on that! We need more input from the fairer sex here!!

I have been emailing with Sarah Clarehart gently encouraging her to visit more often, and I see that Bettie Coetzee-Lambrecht has chimed in this week - so that is very promising. And fortunately Karin De Winter has just posted a real winner here last week, hopefully just another one of many more to come. A Lucy Llewellyn Byard sighting would be nice too, and more fine photos from Zara Bowmar could only help! Ladies???

With Tricia Kennedy now on staff, that alone may become a strong draw for more female participation here. In any case, we all can only benefit from the works of the many talented women who travel the planet indulging that same insatiable wanderlust that defines the character of all of us who call TPN home. So I am with Avi - where are the GALS??

Gents we have some recruiting to do ;-)

Chatty

Great Picks Tricia!!! Welcome to TPN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Junior

Hi Patrick! What a lovely welcome you give to the "fairer sex". Nice to hear. What about you having a look on the Forum page re the suggestion for a TPN-photo trip to France during April Easter time? Us Girls are waiting from the "bolder sex" to join in.Clapping

Africa
12 posts :: Page 1 of 1