4 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 2695 times)  

I have spent the last few weeks scanning some 400+ frames of color negative film from 19 years ago when my wife and I went to Hawaii for two weeks on our honeymoon. I'm using VueScan from Hammrock Software and a Nikon Super Coolscan 5000 (LS-5000) scanner, all running on a 2010 MacBook Pro. It is clear to me that I didn't know very well how to control exposure back in 1994. I have three rolls of color negative film left to scan, then I'm off to see if I took any slides on that trip.

Has anyone else scanned their old slide or color negative film? How happy were you with the results? Once I do some cleanup and make proper adjustments to the scans I will post a few on TPN.

I sent a box of 35mm negatives to ScanCafe and they scanned them for me. I think it was like 30¢ per scan or something for negatives or color slides. I was quite happy with the results. Here's a scan of one of my travel shots. That was taken with a point and shoot and then processed in post obviously.

What resolution did they scan your 35mm film? The Nikon scanner I'm using produce 4000dpi images (~100MB tiffs) at 16 bits per channel color. I found that frames with proper exposure scanned MUCH better than those that were over or under exposed. I was fairly new to metering when we went to Hawaii so I had some that were easily more than a 1.5 stops off. Most were + or -1 stop and could be salvaged. The worse the exposure, the more the film grain came through. I had more that were under exposed than overexposed.

How much work did you have to do with the scans returned from ScanCafe?

I paid 9¢/scan extra for pro resolution which is 4000dpi. Files arrive on DVD. Most of my film scans were 200-400 ISO and though that grain didn't show in small prints, it definitely shows in the high-res scans. My scans tended to be neutral (or flat) and I ended up boasting color in post and using a touch of unsharp mask. As well as using localized dodge and burn.

Obviously it's up to you, but my recommendation would be to scan your favorite images yourself with the 16bit scanner and send them your seconds which will save you a bunch of time. My only regret was not purchasing a few more scans at the time of my order. I am not affiliated with ScanCafe at all, except for using there service the one time. Here is my full review of the process: http://www.th-photo.net/photo_blog/2008/03/scanning-the-35mm-film-archive-scancafe-review/

4 posts :: Page 1 of 1