4 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 2686 times)  

Hi guys, i'll be traveling to a 20 day trip to Japan in early May and i have doubt. At first, most of my transportation in Japan will be by train and i'll be sleeping in hostels / friends house, i'll be doing a lot of street photography/landscape/portrait photos. My gear (i'll buy this new body and lenses in Japan) will be Nikon D800 or a Canon EOS 5D Mark III with Tokina 16-28mm F/2.8, Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 and, maybe, a 50mm f/1.4 lenses (ok, i know that's a lot of glass and i should carry/buy less lenses). Plus, Benro C0681TB00 Tripod with B00 Dual Action Ballhead and UV Protector, Circular Polarizer and ND filters. A macbook pro 15" will also travel with me and will be carried with the camera/lenses trough the travel and city walks/hiking-trekking. Should i travel with a backpack, maybe a travel pack with 70l+10l (Deuter Quantum 70+10 or other similar, the attached daypack is dispensable i guess, then, i'll choose a multi-day backpack) and a daypack (Kata Bumblebee PL-222 / Crumpler The Sinking Barge Deluxe / F-Stop Loka pack with medium pro ICU) for camera / lenses / food / jacket or should i choose a trolley luggage (Deuter Helion 80)? Do you guys would rather choose to travel with backpacks or with luggage? 

That is a lot of weight to carry around all day. I've done it before and you will be completely exhausted. Your legs, back and feet will be killing you. I suggest limiting the lenses, and hide the laptop in a room safe rather than carrying it around with you. If you really want to pull images off your camera and share them while you are out, you can capture raw + jpg and carry a tablet with camera connector kit.

ThinkTankPhoto makes some really nice urban and walk-around units that will hold your equipment in a messenger bag form factor that says "I don't look like a camera bag". You might consider one of those.

Walter Rowe, Editor
Travel Photographers.net

Admin

Well, i've made some changes in the gear for the travel and i've just asked to a friend of mine who is going to NYC next week grab for me the equipment at B&H.

The list:

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Digital Camera 
Canon Battery Pack LP­E6 for the EOS 5D Mark II, 5D Mark III, 6D, & 7D Digital SLR Cameras ­ 1800 mAh (2 spare)
SanDisk - 16GB CompactFlash Memory Card Extreme 400x UDMA - 2-Pack
SanDisk - 16GB CompactFlash Memory Card Extreme Pro 600x UDMA
SanDisk - 16 GB SDHC Memory Card Extreme Pro Class 10 UHS-I
Vello - Wireless ShutterBoss Timer Remote
Pearstone - Duo Battery Charger for Canon LP-E6
Tamron - 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC LD Aspherical IF Macro Autofocus Lens)
Canon Telephoto EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Autofocus Lens 
Samyang 14mm Ultra Wide-Angle f/2.8 IF ED UMC Lens For Canon
Lensbaby Creative Effects System Kit
Tiffen 67mm Digital Essentials Filter Kit
Tiffen 72mm Digital Essentials Filter Kit
Benro - C-0691 Travel Angel CF Tripod (Trans-Functional) W/B00 Ballhead
Think Tank Photo - Retrospective 7 Shoulder Bag (Pinestone) - Walkaround Bag
Incase Designs Corp DSLR Pro Sling Pack (Black) (Travel Bag)
iPad with Retina display Wi-Fi 64GB - Black
iPad Smart Case - Polyurethane - Light Gray
Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader
Lightning to USB Camera Adapter
Lightning to 30-pin Adapter
M.I.C. All-in-One Card Reader For iPad
Deuter Helion 80 (for clothes and gifts)

My only last doubt is about choosing a 50mm 1.4f instead the 135mm, what do you guys think?

Choosing 50mm vs 135mm really comes down to what you shoot more. If you like separating people out like a portrait, the 135mm will suit you well. If you like context and environmental portraits, or scenics, then the 50 will suit you better, especially in low light. You can always crop a 50mm image if you want to eliminate some surroundings and can't get close enough to your subject. The 50mm has a much wider angle field of view than the 135mm.

4 posts :: Page 1 of 1