6 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 4576 times)  

I'd like to know what books others are really fond of and have on their bookshelf. For example, I'm a big fan of the Galen Rowell books. They are both educational and inspirational, and they include incredible photographs with the back story for each. I'm also a big fan of John Shaw's instruction books. I also have some favorite business oriented books.

• Best Business Practices for Photographers, Second Edition - John Harrington
  • The DAM Book, Second Edition - Peter Krough
  • Licensing Photography - Richard Weisgrau and Victor Perlman
  • Business and Legal Forms for Photographers - Tad Crawford
  • Shooting & Selling Your Photos: The Complete Guide to Making Money with Your Photography - Jim Zuckerman

I have a great many other books on my bookshelf. What books do you have?

I, too, am a big fan of Galen Rowell's books, and I have quite a few of them in my library, many of which are signed by Galen.  My favorites are Galen Rowell's Vision and Galen Rowell's Inner Game of Outdoor Photography.

I also like and own a number of National Geographic large format photography books, including The Photographs, Photographs Then and Now, and The Milestones.  In addition, I own seven paperback National Geographic photography field guides that cover various topics.

Shore

The Photographer's Eye, by Michael Freeman;  Perfect Exposure, by Michael Freeman;  The Photographer's Mind, by Michael Freeman.

All three brilliantly written with stunning photographs.  Reading and digesting the information therein is guaranteed to improve one's photography.

Plus I have many, many more books on digital post processing and lots of inspirational photography books . . . . .

I can heartily agree with Tricia's choices, Freeman is great.

Also Vision Mongers by David DuChemin and Photographer's Legal Guide by Carolyn Wright and anything by Bob Krist.

Tim Marks
www.photowanderer.com
Michigan USA

My all time favorite is Sam Abell.  His book "The Photographic Life" was and still is very inspirational for me.  I actually got to meet Mr. Abell at a talk here in Omaha, he is truely a great person.  For portrait work, one of the books I just received was "American Farmer" by Paul Mobley.  His style is very defined and comes across really well for me. 

On a side note, there are several blogs that I follow on a daily basis.  Almost better than inspirational books, because it can get very interactive with the photographer.  On Taking Pictures with Bill Wadman, Steve McCurry and his blog, and Mark Tucker who is out of Nashville are my personal favorites.  For portrait work, you can't beat Mr. Tucker, simply amazing.

It has been a while since anyone followed up on this thread. What new books have any of your read?

Are you purchasing books in hard copy format or have you migrated to electronic format? What about your magazine subscriptions?

I switched my Outdoor Photographer and Digital Photo Pro magazine subscriptions to Zinio iPad app format subscriptions. While the paper version requires no power, the electronic version requires no recycling or storage space on a bookshelf or in a box on the basement. And the resolution on the new iPad retina display makes them much more enjoyable to read. It also lets the publishers include other rich media right within the publication that you would not otherwise get.

An excellent travel photography e-magazine is Photographer's i. The first edition was free. It includes articles from some well known travel writer like Bob Krist and comes with a lot of rich media content. The text is excellent, but hearing Bob Krist narrate is also a real treat.

Walter Rowe, Editor
Travel Photographers.net

Admin
6 posts :: Page 1 of 1