Subject: Become A Vacation Photographer

Posted on: July 11 2012 @ 08:15 PM
By: Walter

Content:

Click this link to a Wall Street Journal article on vacation photography. Imagine a couple or family or group hires you to accompany them for a few hours or a day to photograph them while they are vacationing where you live full-time. This seems to be a growing segment in the photography industry.

I live in between Washington DC and Baltimore MD. I could envision people hiring me to photograph them for a few hours around all of the national monuments, memorials and statues in DC. I could also envision people hiring me to follow them around the Inner Harbor, Fort McHenry, Fells Point or other places around Baltimore. Annapolis MD is close by also, as is Gettysburg PA.

What would you charge a family for a 4-hour or daylong package? What about offering something really special like the "marriage proposal package" where the person proposing hires you to capture a destination-based marriage proposal? It could be disguised as a standard vacation photography package so that the person receiving the marriage proposal doesn't have a clue what is coming. You could offer to help set up a picnic, champaigne & strawberries, etc, etc, etc. You could sell this to couples straight and same-sex couples.

Replies:

Re: Become A Vacation Photographer

Posted on: August 24 2012 @ 02:05 AM
By: Mike_krebs

Content:

I've had this similar thought as a freelance source of income.  I was living in Florida and I spoke to a yacht captain about it.  For me, the main reason not doing it was that they needed someone who could do more than just take photos.  IE: Deckhand, cook , etc.  That would also stretch my time and one of the roles may suffer.  Anyway, I'd love to hear if that worked out for you or you get any leads.  

Travel Photographers Network - Forum
https://www.travelphotographers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=931